Welcome to the Carrion Cafe – Turkey Vulture & Landscape Composite

/, Box Elder County, Turkey Vultures, Utah/Welcome to the Carrion Cafe – Turkey Vulture & Landscape Composite

Carrion Cafe signCarrion Cafe sign – Nikon D810, f13, 1/400, ISO 320, Nikkor 18-200mm at 200mm, natural light

Two days ago I saw a sign I hadn’t seen before and it had me laughing out loud, the sign simply said “Carrion Cafe” in an area that earlier in the year may have had a Turkey Vulture hanging around or soaring overhead. And I laughed a bit louder when I realized it had droppings dripping down the sign too. I took this close up of the sign.

Carrion CafeCarrion Cafe – Nikon D810, f13, 1/500, , ISO 320, Nikkor 18-200mm at 200mm, natural light

And I also took several photos from farther away to show the habitat where the sign is located. I found myself wishing that there had been a Turkey Vulture in the frame too but most of the vultures have migrated away from northern Utah. Still, it would have been fun to have one near this sign or even perched on it.

Box Elder County Turkey Vulture portraitBox Elder County Turkey Vulture portrait – Nikon D500, f7.1, 1/800, ISO 250, -0.7 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light, not baited

And then I had a thought, why not create a composite and place a turkey vulture in the frame digitally? So I dug through my archives and found this Turkey Vulture portrait I had taken in early May of this year, pulled it into Photoshop, got rid of the background, flipped the bird (the pun was not intended) and placed it into the photo above.

Turkey Vulture at the Carrion CafeTurkey Vulture at the Carrion Cafe – Composite of two photos

And this was the final resulting composite of the two images together. I kind of like it. The Turkey Vulture could be the Maître D’.

I’m pretty sure none of us would like to dine at the Carrion Cafe or sip anything liquid found there but I had a bit of fun playing with these photos and I hope you’ll enjoy your visit to the Carrion Cafe. The vultures think the food there is to die for.

Life is good. Have fun with it.

1. Pepe Forte October 30, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Totally cool. Handsome fellow and great a sign. Thx Mia.

2. Denise Brownlie October 27, 2017 at 3:05 pm

“The vultures think the food there is to die for.”

I love your sense of humour, Mia ! And your photography is superb.

Thanks for these gifts to us all.

3. Marty K October 26, 2017 at 7:52 pm

He’s a beaut! I’ve always thought vultures and condors were handsome birds (I also think Patrick Stewart is quite the hottie — must be a bald-guy thing!). I’m so glad you decided to Photoshop this guy into the frame — HILARIOUS! 😀

4. Elephants Child October 26, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Love it. And am so grateful to the clean-up crew.

5. Patty Chadwick October 26, 2017 at 10:46 am

Carrion Cafe….thank goodness for the frequenting of that cafe by turkey vultures and the lke or we’d be up to our eyebrows in carrion! Just the number of animals killed by cars and lther vehicles is staggerin!!!

6. Laura Culley October 26, 2017 at 9:18 am

LOL! I LOVE it! My turkey vultures seem to have migrated away, too. Suddenly, they’re all gone and I miss them. Evidently northern Arizona is not a good place for them to winter. Harrumph!

7. Liz Cormack October 26, 2017 at 7:01 am

That is hilarious. This summer I pulled over as I saw something quite large at the side of the road and I was curious. It was a Turkey Vulture with its wings spread out over roadkill. It turned its head towards me and hissed. Maybe I should put up a sign.

8. Kim October 26, 2017 at 6:55 am