Celebrating Twenty-five Hundred Posts at On The Wing Photography

Plus a Short-eared Owl chick at sunrise

/, Box Elder County, Short-eared Owls, Utah/Celebrating Twenty-five Hundred Posts at On The Wing Photography

Short-eared Owl chick at sunriseShort-eared Owl chick at sunrise – Nikon D810, f6.3, 1/1000, ISO 400, -0.3 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light, not baited

Good morning. Today I am celebrating my 2500th post here at On The Wing Photography! I’ve been sharing my photography and the stories behind the images since 2010 here on my site and what a ride it has been.

I’ve seen beautiful places in my journeys to photograph my feathered friends, met some very interesting people and made many friends along the way. Without a doubt I can say my life is better because of my all consuming, sometimes obsessive, passion for bird photography and because of my love for birds.

Bird photography isn’t always easy, there are long drives well before dawn, extremely cold and hot weather, clouds that block the light, bugs that bite and suck and sometimes there are even equipment failures which have made me want to pull my hair out.

But following my passion, being out in nature, observing, learning about and photographing birds has brought me tremendous joy. I’ve grown as a person and as a photographer because of my feathered friends.

It isn’t all just birds though here on my site, it is also about the other wildlife I see along the way, the grand and not so grand views, the wildflowers, the bugs and sometimes the things that bug me.

My life is infinitely richer because of birds.

The Short-eared Owl chick photo was taken in May of 2016 right after the sun had risen, if I hadn’t taken a different route that morning I would have missed photographing the chick and its siblings.

1. Jeanne Kaufman April 11, 2018 at 8:08 pm

I’m late to the party, so to speak, as I’ve only recently “found” you, and I’m immensely glad I did. I’m thoroughly enjoying your charming and descriptive writing and your outstanding photography. Congratulations on such wonderful milestone, and thank you for sharing your life and talent.

2. Ken Krahulec April 10, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Congratulations Mia, what an achievement! I always enjoy your photographs. Here’s hoping you get 2500 more posts!

3. Marty K April 9, 2018 at 7:27 pm

Mazal Tov! Looking forward to the next 2500+! 😀 Your blog is one of the few that I readily recommend to anyone interested in nature photography!

Mega-thanks for sharing your skills, passion, wit and humor with all of us on a daily basis. Your blog provides a balm for troubling times.

4. Rosemary Harris April 9, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Congratulations on your achievement I really enjoy reading your daily post.

5. Suzanne April 9, 2018 at 6:36 pm

Congratulations! I love your photography and narratives. I’m also a little obsessive about bird photography (and wildlife in general). I found your website 3 years ago and it is here that I first learned about the SLC Bird Festival and birding in Utah (I lived in Las Vegas, NV). I came up for the festival in 2015 and 2016, went on some field trips, and I was hooked on the area with that first visit. In January of this year, I moved to Ogden (oh and fortunately, I was able to transfer with my current employer!)! It continues to be a treat to see your posts. I love your style of photography –all aspects are technically great, and I love your use of light; in short, your passion for wildlife really comes through in the image and post. You are posting shots of many of the same spots I frequent, so I love that too. I look forward to your next 2500 posts! 🙂

6. Elephants Child April 9, 2018 at 2:08 pm

Wow.
    Thank you so much for your commitment, your dedication and your generosity.
    And huge thanks for the owl.

7. MBG April 9, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Thank you Mia for your tireless pursuit of excellence. I think you’ve been particularly inspirational to those of us that also do bird photography, especially when it comes to your consistency. Looking forward to much much more.

8. Pepe Forte April 9, 2018 at 12:10 pm

2500 posts? Holy cow! To echo everyone else…congratulations and thanks for all the inspiration and beauty you have given to us and continue to give us…every day. As I mentioned in an earlier note…you are a river.

9. Brrdoo April 9, 2018 at 10:45 am

Ditto to all of the above, congratulations, and all best wishes in your continued pursuit of such wonderful photos and experiences. You’ve contributed so much to so many people’s appreciation, respect and enjoyment of our natural world. Thank you.

10. Laura Culley April 9, 2018 at 10:28 am

That’s a lot of sharing of beautiful beings, proving beyond all doubt that life IS good!

11. nikonsteve April 9, 2018 at 9:41 am

I agree with everything everyone else has said…so I’ll just say Thank You so much and here’s to the next 2500…

12. Patty Chadwick April 9, 2018 at 8:38 am

PS. I think you’re nuts, but I like you that way…..

• Laura Culley April 9, 2018 at 9:21 am

Being “nuts” or mostly crazy is NOT a bad thing 😉

• Patty Chadwick April 9, 2018 at 11:10 am

🙂

13. Patty Chadwick April 9, 2018 at 8:37 am

THANK YOU, also, for your integrity, educational comments, researching facts, sharing facts, speaking up for wildlife and wild places, courage in defending those creatures that have no voice of their own, and for being the all around wonderful person you are…among other attributes…..

14. Patty Chadwick April 9, 2018 at 8:29 am

HOLY MOLY!!! That’s a lot! I LOVE all your photos….and am so grateful for them!….birds flowers, insects, clouds, landscapes, mammals, rocks, water….so many beautiful, interesting things!!! THANK YOU for enabling me to see thrm, too!!!!!!!!!! (Love the funny baby owl–great shot)…

15. Ian Holland April 9, 2018 at 8:26 am

Thank you for sharing, Mia! Your dedication has been, and is, an inspiration

16. Vicki Rogerson April 9, 2018 at 7:41 am

Wow and congratulations. All of the adventures that culminated in 2500 posts- I am sure you enjoyed the journey, and what better way to reach an achievement. Thanks for allowing us 2500 peeks into your journey.

17. David Sparks April 9, 2018 at 7:41 am

I admire your talent, your knowledge, and your perseverance. I wish there was a way to measure the stream of inspiration, enjoyment and edification that flows daily from your blog entries. I join the others in thanking you for the effort you put into ONTHEWINGPHOTOGRAPHY.

18. Steve April 9, 2018 at 7:32 am

Thank you Mia, I’ve always enjoyed your posts and I have learned so much from you about birds

19. Mary April 9, 2018 at 7:26 am

We are the lucky ones Mia! Thanks for sharing!

20. Glen Fox April 9, 2018 at 6:58 am

Mia,
    Your passion, skill, and honesty are evident in every post. 2500 is a lot of posts! Maintaining a website is quite a challenge, not alone making a post everyday. There is a terrific amount of work that goes into maintaining the site and the actual posting that is often under appreciated. Your love of nature and your passion to preserve all that is good is often expressed in well-chosen words in your posts, posts on YOUR platform where you remind US constantly that life IS good. I am often awestruck by your images and moved by your words, and informed by your teaching. THANK YOU! Blessings, Mia, and a grateful hug.

21. Steven Kessel April 9, 2018 at 6:57 am

Congratulations, Mia. You have been an inspiration to me. Reading your blog each morning is part of my daily ritual. I wouldn’t miss it for anything.

22. Jim Strohmer April 9, 2018 at 6:57 am

It will be terrific to be with you as you head for the 5,000 posting! This is number one (#1, as in the first) for me, but it will be a ride I am sure. Congrats on sharing your love and passion with us. (2crazy4birds)

23. KathyGrahek April 9, 2018 at 6:49 am

Congratulations! I have only been following your blog for a short time but I must tell you I love it. My day starts reading yours and Ron’s postings first thing in the morning. I too love nature and try to get out everyday to photograph it in it’s glory. I couldn’t help but notice you had a photo of a ShortEar Owl on your 2000th posting…one of my favorite birds. I had the pleasure of photographing three this past week. I look forward to reading many more postings.

24. Tim Traver April 9, 2018 at 6:38 am

Congratulations! And here’s to the next 2500. You’ve assembled quite a record on bird life there: grateful for your sharing it.

25. Liz Cormack April 9, 2018 at 6:32 am

Congratulations & thank you for all your wonderful posts. I’ve learned a lot through you. Life IS good.

26. evelyn gillson April 9, 2018 at 6:28 am

I look forward every morning to looking at your beautiful photos. I have learned so much through you eyes re: Nikon settings, composition and the stories. Please keep them coming.

27. Grace Cohen April 9, 2018 at 6:12 am

Mia – thank you for sharing your passion, your beautiful photos, insightful details about birds, wildlife,locations, shooting, environment, and activism. You are truly an inspiration to all who love birds and wildlife, and to those who wish to protect and preserve their precious habitat.

Congratulations Mia for reaching such a notable milestone. I look forward to enjoying, learning from, and acting on your next 2500 posts!

28. LSClem April 9, 2018 at 5:51 am

Congratulations! And, THANK YOU! I love birds and being out with nature. Your blog is often the 1st Thing I read each day. Always a great start. I hope you will post another 2500!

29. Suzanne McDougal April 9, 2018 at 5:24 am

Congratulations, and thank you. Because of you my life is richer as a person and and photographer wanna be. Because of you, I got to see the mating clap of the male SEOW last week. Because of you, I got to see a real marmot, and find my happy place. Life IS good with your generous talent in it.