White-crowned Sparrow and Rose hips

Adult White-crowned Sparrow and Rose hipsAdult White-crowned Sparrow and Rose hips – Nikon D500, f9, 1/1000, ISO 500, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

A few days ago I photographed this adult White-crowned Sparrow perched on a wild rose bush that is absolutely covered in red rose hips at Farmington Bay WMA. I wish I could have gotten more of the rose hips sharply in focus but I was trying to keep my shutter speed up in case the sparrow flew.

This particular section of the rose bush seems to be a favorite perch for the sparrows that visit it because I have images of quite a few of them perched in the same exact spot. The background is a bit messy but I like this image despite that.

Life is pretty scary right now on the political front for many of us but life is still good. I have to remember that.

1. Pepe Forte November 11, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Mia, you are like a river that never stops giving. This image has it all, color, composition, depth and (of course) incredible detail. For me it is the perfect photo.

With regard to our recent election, I take strength from this insight offered by Marcus Aurelius around 1,850 years ago: “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”― Or, in a more contemporary vernacular, “Don’t let the bastards get you down!”

Keep up the good work Mia. You are our river.

2. Utahbooklover November 10, 2016 at 8:07 pm

I agree with Patty, the image would make a beautiful Christmas card. Depressing and shocking election results is how I would describe it. Thankfully we still have a Democrcy; we can vote him out in 4-years.

3. Linda Laugen November 10, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Oh WOW!! That first featured photo is fabulous!! And the rose hips, whatever the focus, enhance the bird details in every way!! I don’t know what you call those tiny,tiny “hairs” that make up each feather – that is the miracle part of photos like this – when does any of us EVER see details like this on a live bird!! Charming, inspiring – SO lovely!! BTW – what is all this unhappiness folks are speaking of? Whatever it might be, YOUR WORK is the antidote – see? I can’t even remember what it was! (As if!) The ocean does that same for me – wipes out the troubles of the world….a hello from God!

4. Elephant's Child November 10, 2016 at 12:49 pm

A complete charmer.
    And yes, from this side of the world I am watching in disbelief, and in fear.
    And so very grateful for the beauty you, and others, give us.

5. Jane Chesebrough November 10, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Nice photo of the sparrow with the rosehips.Nature soothes my soul, I was out at the park yesterday and it did me good.. I was surprised about the election.I am hearing a lot of arguing,people not llsitening no matter what country they are in. I see a need to speak up for the environment,animal and people’s rights with kindness and respect-I want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.I am proud of my American friends like you who believe in the goodness of life and speak up when you see something that is wrong.Thank you.

6. pennypinchadventure Tim Traver November 10, 2016 at 9:18 am

Very pretty with the red of the rose hips, thanks! Yes, we are in shock. But life, as you say, is still good.

7. Patty Chadwick November 10, 2016 at 8:08 am

Such a pretty little bird ! They bring us so much pleasure in the winter. This shot looks likeca Christmas card…love the mix of crisply ficused berries and slightly out of focus ones…nice!

8. Neil Rossmiller November 10, 2016 at 7:26 am

Great shot, Mia. Hard to find a better pose than this.
    Chin up my friend. Take a shot or two of Avian antics. You’ll feel better, momentarily anyway. We will all persevere somehow.

• Mia McPherson November 10, 2016 at 8:39 am

Thanks Neil, like you I have had many things in my life happen where I have persevered, we will get through this.

9. Liz Cormack November 10, 2016 at 7:08 am

White-Crowned Sparrows have to be my favourite. Gorgeous shot. Scary times ahead even for us Canadians.

• Mia McPherson November 10, 2016 at 7:17 am

They are beautiful birds Liz.

Yes, the rest of the entire world should be concerned.

10. Bob McPherson November 10, 2016 at 6:37 am

Beautiful image, Mia. Darkest of times is followed by the dawn.

11. Marie Read November 10, 2016 at 5:45 am

Nice! Yeah, pretty rocky times, politically. Nature is there to comfort us…always.

• Mia McPherson November 10, 2016 at 6:46 am

Marie, I have to wonder how much of nature will be left in four years.