Juvenile Northern Harrier Female in Flight Over Farmington Bay

/, Davis County, Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area, Northern Harriers, Utah/Juvenile Northern Harrier Female in Flight Over Farmington Bay

Juvenile Northern Harrier female in flightJuvenile Northern Harrier female in flight – Nikon D500, f7.1, 1/2500, ISO 500, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light, not baited

Yesterday at Farmington Bay I was pleased to photograph this juvenile Northern Harrier female in flight as she went past me while I sat in a mobile blind. This hawk of the marshes was hatched this year and the reason I know she is a female is because she has dark eyes, typically juvenile males at this time of the year would have lighter colored eyes than she does.

Juvenile female Northern Harrier flying byJuvenile female Northern Harrier flying by – Nikon D500, f7.1, 1/2500, ISO 500, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light, not baited

All juvenile Northern Harriers at this time of the year have orange to rusty undersides and both of these photos show that well. Their backs are brownish and like the adults they have white rumps.

I photographed other Northern Harriers yesterday morning but this one came in the closest, gave me nice views and I was able to obtain the best images of her.

1. Elephant's Child November 9, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I needed to see things of beauty today. Thank you.

2. Pepe Forte November 9, 2016 at 11:39 am

Incredible images, Mia. You have captured the grace and symmetry of the harrier in a way I have never seen before. And, as always, the detail in your pics… is simply stunning!

3. Utahbooklover November 9, 2016 at 10:45 am

Good work Mia! I especially like the balance of the second image — beautiful.

4. M. Bruce November 9, 2016 at 9:45 am

Great capture with perfect light – grateful to see this first thing this morning!

5. Randal Sokolik November 9, 2016 at 6:58 am

beautiful captures!

6. Bob McPherson November 9, 2016 at 6:21 am

Boy, what beautiful images these are, Mia. Please take a Curtsy and a bow.

7. Krishna prasad November 9, 2016 at 5:28 am

Nice shot. Thank you for sharing the images. You said you had mobile blind. Can you let us know more details about the same ? Do you always set up builds to photography birds ? Did you set up one there. I am also thinking about the same.

• Mia McPherson November 9, 2016 at 5:35 am

Krishna, by mobile blind I mean that I was inside of a vehicle to photograph birds and more often than not I am inside a vehicle to photograph birds in the western U.S.. Here in Utah it is much easier to approach many of our birds inside a vehicle than it is on foot. On foot the birds are far more skittish. Also, on the public lands where I usually photograph building a permanent blind is prohibited.