Gray & Windy Day Great Blue Heron Portrait

/, Florida, Fort De Soto County Park, Great Blue Herons, Pinellas County/Gray & Windy Day Great Blue Heron Portrait

Close up Great Blue Heron on a gray dayClose up Great Blue Heron on a gray day – Nikon D200, handheld, f6.3, 1/1500, ISO 400, Nikkor 80-400mm VR at 400mm, natural light, not baited

I’ve been pretty busy this week, probably too busy. I woke early this morning and have been plugging away at another project which is why this post is going out so late today.

This Great Blue Heron wandered past me one December morning at Fort De Soto County Park’s north beach on a gray, windy day and because it was close I simply had to take a photo of the large wading bird. It was close enough for a portrait, why not take the photo?

I know they are fairly common throughout the U.S. but I love these big birds. I love how prehistoric they look, their behaviors, their colors and their big yellow eyes. I wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to photograph them, ever. But some folks do because they are so “common”.

Not me.

Life is good. Even when your plate is too full.

1. Pepe Forte August 2, 2017 at 11:52 am

A portrait is exactly what it is! Perfect lighting, perfect detail…of a stately and magnificent bird. Great shot Mia!

2. Utahbooklover July 31, 2017 at 9:31 am

Nice portrait image Mia, also one of my favorites for the very reasons you gave:

“I love how prehistoric they look, their behaviors, their colors and their big yellow eyes.”

3. David Sparks July 31, 2017 at 8:15 am

“Life is good. Even when your plate is too full.” And even when we were using a Nikon D200 and 80-400mm VR lens! I had forgotten that you used that lens. One should never pass up the opportunity to eat softshell crab or photograph a GBH.

4. hummingbird lover July 31, 2017 at 7:40 am

Hi! Hope this is working? Great Photo’s!

5. Elephants Child July 30, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Common, shmommon.
    They are beautiful. And should be celebrated. As you do.

6. Laura Culley July 30, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Mariah, female redtail hawk, informed me early on in our relationship that “common” was not an appropriate word to describe birds (raptors/critters) who are abundant or plentiful. The word common carries a lot of other baggage that leads to disrespect and other nasty ideas. Mariah is much smarter than me. Just sayin’.

7. April Olson July 30, 2017 at 10:30 am

That amazing neck always intrigues me.

8. Patty Chadwick July 30, 2017 at 10:28 am

Sorry about multiples…this thing is messed up…I am, too…we hate each other!!!

9. Patty Chadwick July 30, 2017 at 10:24 am

I always enjoy uncommon pictures of “common” birds,flowers, insects, animals, skyscapes and landscapes…they are always changing in some way, pose, place, numbers, lighting, etc. it’s when I can no longer see them that I won’t be happy! As a as

10. Patty Chadwick July 30, 2017 at 10:24 am

11. Patty Chadwick July 30, 2017 at 10:24 am

12. Liz Cormack July 30, 2017 at 9:57 am

I agree with Steve…..common but impressive!

13. Cindy July 30, 2017 at 9:47 am

Even sparrows catch my attention Mia. We had a heron visit our pond in Draper a few years back and although his attention was on the goldfish below, my attention was on him. What a treat! Hopefully you’ll share your other project?

14. steve July 30, 2017 at 8:01 am

I always stop to watch them, they may be common, but incredibly impressive.