White-crowned Sparrow Juvenile on a wild rose

Juvenile White-crowned Sparrow on a wild roseJuvenile White-crowned Sparrow on a wild rose – Nikon D810, f8, 1/1250, ISO 500, Nikkor 500mm with 1.4x TC, natural light, not baited

It was nice to get out yesterday morning and photograph a few birds including this juvenile White-crowned Sparrow perched on a wild rose. I photographed a few harriers, ibis and juncos but none of the were as cooperative or in such a pretty setting. The White-crowned Sparrows are all over the place and I love hearing their soft calls. Different subspecies across the country have clearly different songs but to me they all sound delightful to my ears.

An over the shoulder look from a juvenile White-crowned SparrowAn over the shoulder look from a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow – Nikon D810, f7.1, 1/1600, ISO 500, Nikkor 500mm with 1.4x TC, natural light, not baited

White-crowned Sparrows are year round residents in Utah but I do see more of them in the Salt Lake Valley in the winter than I do in the warmer months. At Farmington Bay WMA there are many locations where White-crowned Sparrows can be found foraging, singing and preening as long as they have a safe place to hide if a predator comes in close.

They might be just little brown birds (LBB) but I think they are delightful.

1. Utahbooklover November 8, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I was thrilled when I first saw these beautiful sparrows in my backyard. Excellent images and thanks for the Utah info. More generally “White-crowned Sparrows appear each winter over much of North America to grace our gardens and favorite trails (they live in parts of the West year-round).” [allaboutbirds.org]

2. Wickersham's Conscience November 8, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Take good care of our sparrows, Mia… Good to see the kids made it south safely. I worry.

3. Elephant's Child November 8, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I have a soft spot for them as well. And they are one of the first (after the less musical wattle birds) to greet each new day.

4. Jolanta November 8, 2014 at 10:29 am

Beautiful photos! Love sparrows, they are so cute!

5. Samantha Biobabbler November 8, 2014 at 10:00 am

So delightful! That lighting is SO perfect, so you can see every tiny (perfectly focused) detail. Thank you for this privileged peek at a little beauty. =)

6. SkyHawker4 November 8, 2014 at 9:04 am

Mia great photo! No not just a little brown bird-a beautiful “white crowned sparrow” Such detail shown beautiful!

7. Sally Wood November 8, 2014 at 7:49 am

Delightful is the word!

8. Stu November 8, 2014 at 7:13 am

Favorites of mine too..Always use them as a winter marker ;). I love how the juvenile plumage ‘line’ around the neck is so detailed. Great shots.

9. Ilze Long November 8, 2014 at 6:37 am