A Pronghorn Buck, wild Sunflowers and the Great Salt Lake

/, Davis County, Pronghorn, Utah, Wildflowers, Wildlife/A Pronghorn Buck, wild Sunflowers and the Great Salt Lake

A Pronghorn Buck, wild Sunflowers and the Great Salt LakeA Pronghorn Buck, wild Sunflowers and the Great Salt Lake – Nikon D810, f9, 1/800, ISO 320, +0.3 EV, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light

As many of my readers know I like to take portraits of the birds and animals I photograph but I also like to take images that show my subjects smaller in their native habitat. This Pronghorn buck was nibbling on the wild sunflowers and rubbing his head against them to mark his scent when I photographed him.  I liked seeing the Great Salt Lake in the background along with the western edge of Buffalo point, the golden grasses, spent stalks of moth mullein and the wild common sunflowers in bloom close to the Pronghorn buck. It is a simple image but I find it appealing.

The Pronghorn will be in rut shortly and I hope to capture some images of the bucks defending their harems of does this fall.

1. Elephant's Child September 4, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Stunning. Amazing. And rather a lot of other superaltives.
    I do love to see some background – it sets the scene for me.
    Thank you.

2. Roger Burnard September 4, 2015 at 10:47 am

Very nice image Mia, very nice!!!! ;-)))

3. Utahbooklover September 4, 2015 at 10:31 am

A wonderful composition of one of my favorite animals. Hope to see images of the rut.

4. Christine September 4, 2015 at 7:33 am

Lovely, lovely, lovely 😉

5. Patty Chadwick September 4, 2015 at 7:22 am

I love your portraits but also love to see creatures in their natural surroundings…such beautiful surroundings that I no longer get to see…and how I miss them !!!

6. Bob Mcpherson September 4, 2015 at 6:05 am

Beautiiful photo Mia. I love these animals. Back when trucking across Wyoming, Utah, etc. Used to see herds of them grazing near the road. sometimes
    they would cross the cattle guards and give me a bit of a scare, but luckily, never hit one. Love the picture, its just great.

7. Deborah September 4, 2015 at 5:36 am

Good Morning!
    Thank you for this beautiful photo to start my day! For me such a rare sight. I’ve only ever seen these creatures once. I was visiting in ND, out trying to spot some Moose to photograph. When I saw these guys far off in the distance, I didn’t even know what they were.
    This is a beautiful photograph. You caught him in a lovely setting.
    Have a great week end Mia!
    Deborah