Adult Male Short-eared Owl on a postAdult Male Short-eared Owl on a post in Box Elder County, Utah

Today I am celebrating having published 2000 posts on birds, wildlife and nature at On The Wing Photography and sharing the stories behind the images along with the journeys I take to find my subjects. I started posting on this blog in January of 2010 but didn’t really become serious about it until later that year. It was 2012 when I started to publish posts daily.

Great Blue Heron with the Earth's ShadowGreat Blue Heron with the Earth’s Shadow at Fort De Soto County Park, Florida

I have shared the birds I photographed while I lived on the west coast of Florida from the tiny shorebirds to the larger wading birds. I have written about sand crawling and sitting in salt water lagoons while I captured images of the beautiful birds I saw and loved there.

Swainson's Hawk in flight over Beaverhead County, MontanaSwainson’s Hawk in flight over Beaverhead County, Montana

I’ve also shared the birds I have photographed in the wilderness of Idaho and Montana during the warmer months of the year. I have written about the towering mountains, the marshes, the sunrises and sunsets and hearing the calls of coyotes and Sandhill Cranes as day begins to break.

4 year old Bald Eagle close up4 year old Bald Eagle close up at Farmington Bay WMA, Utah

And I have written about how much patience is needed to be a bird photographer and how I sometimes sit in below freezing temperatures for hours to get the “shot”.

Coyote on the shore of the Great Salt LakeCoyote on the shore of the Great Salt Lake, Utah

I’ve also shared images of the furry creatures I feel deeply connected to including the coyotes I love, the bison, badgers, ground squirrels, weasels and so many more. I’ve photographed them from the heat of the summer through the bitter cold of winter.

Female Golden-silk Spider against a blue skyFemale Golden-silk Spider against a blue sky, Fort De Soto County Park, Florida

I’ve probably freaked out a few people with the spiders, insects and reptiles I find while I am out photographing too but they fascinate and delight me so they belong here on my site as much as the birds do because everything in nature is connected. Everything.

Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge in springRed Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge in spring, Montana

I have shared images of the wild and wonderful places I see and travel to and written about the need to protect these areas today for the future, for our children, for their children and for the rest of the world to enjoy. I shared how these locations touch me and how their beauty soothes and heals me and brings tears of joy to my eyes.

I’ve written over and over that “life is good” when I close my posts because I truly believe it is and nature and my photography is a huge part of that for me. Along the way I have met some of the most interesting and wonderful people all because of my photography and connection to nature.

My life is good, fulfilling and fascinating. I’m doing what I love. I hope I make it to 3000 posts!

1. Mia McPherson November 21, 2016 at 9:35 am

Thank you all for your comments, I can’t tell you how touched I am by your outpouring of appreciation for my work and for your encouragement. I love what I do, my subjects and I am glad I have the ability and means to share with everyone.

Thank you!

2. Kim November 21, 2016 at 6:36 am

Your post is the first email I open to start my work day and I look forward to them. This is the most stunning image of a bald eagle I’ve ever seen. Thanks so much for sharing your work!

3. Ned Harris November 21, 2016 at 4:19 am

Keep up the good work Mia. Your posts are the highlight of my days.

4. Wendy Chapman November 21, 2016 at 1:39 am

Congratulations on your milestone but also and more for living the life you love and being kind enough to share some of it with us.

5. Margot Rawlins November 20, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I have shared your blog with so many friends that your subscription list must be growing by leaps and bounds. Wish you would consider a trip to Northern California to photograph our wildlife here. With your daily posts, life IS good.

6. Marlene Snyder November 20, 2016 at 5:51 pm

You are an important part of the ‘fabric’ of my day. Please keep doing the magnificent work that you do!

7. Dennis November 20, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Your 2000 posts have brightened and informed your hardcore fans and introduce causal viewers to a totally new experience. I’m addicted to your posts, but in a good way!! 😉

8. Roger Burnard November 20, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Congratulations Mia… this is quite an accomplishment… and we loved every minute. :-)))

9. Ilze Long November 20, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Thank you Mia for your posts and stories. I have admired your shots and enjoy your stories. Life is very good and we are all connected. Am looking forward to your future posts. Live long and prosper something I say to all the creatures I snap.

10. Pepe Forte November 20, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Congrats Mia. Looking forward to your next 2,000 posts. Without meaning to get too mushy here…you are a gift to everyone who loves the art of
    wildlife photography and the knowledge that comes along with it. Thanks.

11. Elephant's Child November 20, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Congratulations.
    We hope that you make it to 3000 too, and don’t stop there.

12. Utahbooklover November 20, 2016 at 11:18 am

Four plus years of wonderful images and information. Congrats and thank you!

13. April Olson November 20, 2016 at 11:09 am

Beautiful surprise this morning of multiple photos! Thank you for sharing and may you have health and happiness to continue enjoying nature and photograph it’s beauty for all to see.

14. Glen Fox November 20, 2016 at 10:43 am

Mia,
    Thank you for your beautiful daily posts, for your wisdom, passion and concern. You ARE making a difference! LIFE IS GOOD!

15. Liz Cormack November 20, 2016 at 10:23 am

3000 posts is within your grasp & I’ll be looking forward to the next 1000. Life is good when I can start my day with your blog. Congratulations!

16. John Sherrill November 20, 2016 at 10:02 am

Thanks for the gifts you’ve given us. Keep it up. John

17. judy November 20, 2016 at 9:10 am

Mia, I love all your beautiful photos! I’ve learned so much from you. Thank you! I look for your photos every day.
    Congrats!

18. Lynn Gratz November 20, 2016 at 9:00 am

Mia,
    I usually do not post on your blog. But it is a lovely part of my day. Thank you so much for what you do. And know that there are people out there who pay attention and really enjoy what you are doing.
    Congratulations on 2000.
    And thank you.

19. Jorge H. Oliveira November 20, 2016 at 8:33 am

Although I seldom comment your posts I read them every day.
    Thanks for the wonderful example of a Nature Lover you give through your images.
    Wish you well and hope you reach 3000 and a lot more.

20. Brian Wallace November 20, 2016 at 8:33 am

I don’t remember how I came across your site, but you sure have enveloped me to the point that I look and open you before any other mail that I receive! Your pictures indicate the human warmth in your compassion to deliver to others those fragile moments in the beauty that nature shares with us.

21. Ian Holland November 20, 2016 at 7:39 am

Congratulation, Mia. I am sure 3000 is in reach.

22. Neil Rossmiller November 20, 2016 at 7:09 am

Good Morning, Mia, and congratulations on the 2000 post milestone.
    I would feel a connection with you through your blog alone, but having meet you in the field makes the connection so much better. You start my day with a smile and a reminder that Life is indeed, “Good”!
    Wishing you continued success my friend.
    Neil

23. Mary Jo Adams November 20, 2016 at 6:52 am

Your cumulative body of work is fabulous! I am in awe of your talent, and inspired to go out and find the beauty where I live, and perhaps capture the images as well as you do!

24. Bob mcpherson November 20, 2016 at 6:41 am

Beautiful images, Mia. Certainly a wonderful milestone. Thanks for sharing it with us.

25. Grace Dunklee Cohen November 20, 2016 at 6:35 am

I’ve subscribed to your posts for years, Mia. You have brought me daily joy through your beautiful images. And you’ve educated me by sharing your shooting data – as well as providing excellent information on birds and other critters, and the locations where you shoot them. I look forward to – and APPRECIATE your daily posts and THANK YOU for sharing your life’s passion.

26. pennypinchadventure Tim Traver November 20, 2016 at 6:22 am

Congrats at 2000!

27. steven kessel November 20, 2016 at 6:17 am

Mia, I’m hoping to enjoy your 10,000 post.

28. Jan goddefroy November 20, 2016 at 6:17 am

Keep going on – every days it drops in my mailbox and is a good reason to stop to have a coffee and read your posts .